Here to discuss important topics in professional writing

Monday, November 30, 2009

Using Effective Tone in Business Writing by Josh Miller

First you need to know what tone is. Tone in writing is the attitude conveyed to the reader and the subject by the author. It works in the same way as the tone you use when communicating with others verbally. I know for me that I can read others very well when speaking to them, but on paper you need to be sure to make your tone well known. Here are a few things you want to consider before you put your documents out there.

• Use a formal tone- this is the norm for tone in business writing.
• Always be positive-even if the information is negative you need to keep the tone and writing positive
• Portray strength and confidence- You need to find the correct balance between confidence and cockiness, because if you are overconfident that might turn off the reader.
• Be honest and sincere- Honesty in writing is respected the same way it is in life, so always try to be honest and sincere.



The video above contains another very important tip which is to use the reader’s name. I don’t know about anyone else, but I am very impressed when I hear someone greet me by name at a restaurant or really anywhere. I do not have very much experience in business writing but I am assuming I would be impressed in seeing my name on paper also.

References:http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/652/01/

1 comment:

  1. Good fourth post. I liked how you used your own personal experiences while writing this post. In your next post, I would like to see you go more in depth with your topic. Define your terms so that the reader knows exactly what it is you are talking about. Also, learn how to embed your YouTube videos; the embed code is in the gray box beside the video that you select to include in your post. I liked how you included using the name of the person you are addressing. Nothing is more personable than using the person that you are addressing's name. Next week is the last post, so until next week's post!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete