Here to discuss important topics in professional writing

Monday, November 23, 2009

Advices on Writing Correctly by Raphael C.



When you think about writing correctly, you have to focus basically on two things: punctuation and spelling. These two things can make a big difference on whether you are a good writer or not. Whenever I read someone’s text and I find a lot of grammar mistakes or misspelled words, I feel like the subject being discussed is not reliable. If the grammar is bad and the words misspelled, the reader is not even going to consider the structure, the subject or the style of the text. This is why writing correctly is one of the most important elements to make you and your text reliable.
The video I have posted here caught my attention because it is a different way of teaching people how to write correctly and have fun at the same time. I thought this would be impossible to do because when we think of punctuation, or grammar, you associate it to being hard and boring. However, this video showed me that it is possible to get people interested on learning and actually participating in the classes.

Some Commonly Used and Misused Punctuation Marks

Comma (,) - Use a comma before and, but, or, nor, for, so, and yet, when they join independent clauses (unless the clauses are short).
Example: The game gets off to a slow start, but it gets exciting toward the end.

Apostrophe (') - To form the possessive case of a singular noun, add an apostrophe and an s.
Examples: Bob's car; One's home.
If the addition of an "s" produces an awkward sound, add only the apostrophe. Usually, this is when there is already a double "s" sound.
Examples: Moses'; for old times' sake; for goodness' sake.

Colon (:) - Use a colon to mean "note what follows."
Example: When you go to training, take these items: paper, pencil, and an alert mind.

Semicolon (;) - Use a semicolon between independent clauses not joined by and, but, nor, for, yet, and so.
Example: Read what you've written; don't just pass it on.

References:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItAcd_9_5-M
http://www.lrcom.com/tips/punctuation.htm

4 comments:

  1. good post! but yea i always used to get the colon and semicolon confused. The youtube video was interesting too haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your post. I can't stand when I am reading a paper with wrong punctuation. I usually get confused and upset that I don't even finish reading it. You can easily get lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the video. These are very common errors that can ruin a piece of writing. Writing correctly is what decides if a document is successful or not. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raphael,

    Great post. I like how you talked about your past experiences with reading other peoples’ work. Your post could have also said something about common grammar mistakes. I like how you listed some commonly used punctuation and included examples of how to use the punctuation correctly. I also liked how the video you included provided a different approach to teaching how to write correctly.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete