Here to discuss important topics in professional writing

Monday, November 23, 2009

Informal Reports by Craig H.

Informal Reports aren't as precise or long as formal reports but they still need to be well written and formatted correctly. They are usually used inside a job for employees but obviously there are exceptions.

Things to avoid

  • Too much clip art
  • Writing and picture clutter
  • Right-justified pages
  • Weird fonts
  • Tiny type thats below 10 pt.
The main difference between informal and formal reports are the length and details of the report. I would assume that when writing Informal reports to a colleague or someone you have a close relationship to, the importance of critical grammar and format isn't as necessary. Informal reports usually come in the form of a letter or a memo. Audience expectation also plays a big part, the audience for an informal report will not expect a to have or view a methodical presentation like they would with formal reports.

Before taking Professional Writing I don't think I'd be able to even to really know what the difference is between the two. This class has shed a lot of light on different forms of writing and documents that I know will help us all in the near future.

Works cited:
http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:sJSk-02lDTcJ:web.viu.ca/atkinsona/Informal%2520Reports%2520(2).ppt+what+is+an+informal+report&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
http://www.writing.engr.psu.edu/workbooks/reports.html

5 comments:

  1. CraigBeans,

    I really liked your post. I never really knew the difference between an informal or formal report. Also, I know it is only 8:30pm and we still have time to finish our blog, but don't forget to write your name in the heading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post was very informative. The audience is very important when considering how you write anything in business. I also liked the layout, very clean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your post. I just learned some good things to avoid when writing a informal report such as right justified pages. The video is very informative and explained how to be successful when writing a report.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Craig,

    Good third post. I like how you addressed the things to avoid when you are writing informal and formal reports. In the future, I think your posts should include a bit more content and include a few more tips on writing. I also liked how you included personal experiences from taking Professional Writing.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked how you mentioned the class you are taking at the end. Also, I liked how you kept the post look very simple though you have lots of important detailed information in it. Good job!

    ReplyDelete